Saturday, February 14, 2009

String of Bad Luck

Since this year, I had a string of bad luck. It’s amazing how I am still surviving through this.

  • My HDD crashed. I don’t have a backup. All my personal stuff is in there. The cost of recovery – RM 4K. Forget it.
  • I crashed my car at my condo at the first floor of the car park. I missed my brake and crash to the railing of the first floor. My car was hanging with the 2 front wheels at the edge of the condo. Luckily the concrete stopped my car from diving down. Cost of repair – RM 1.5K. Cost of repair to the condo – another RM 1K. Cost of live? Priceless…
  • Saman – RM 30 - RM 100. Superb. I had no choice but to park outside as the LRT parking is full. Don’t this traffic police have other better thing to do than saman those sitting ducks? It’s not that I don’t want to pay parking, there is simply NO PARKING! One hand government say take public transport but another hand there is no parking? What the heck?
  • My knee injury – this is the mother of all my bad luck. So far I have spend RM 4K on this. I am expecting to pay another RM 10-20K for the surgery. Superb! Can read more here.

It’s no doubt that I have been under tremendous stress lately due to my business. It’s been hell.

Being a new start-up, I have to juggle everything from the programming, management, finance, sales, accounts, HR, filing, banking and right up to delivery boy. My phone won’t stop ringing and my email won’t stop piling. I have no doubt this is all part and parcel of business, but working for 8 months straight without a break, took its toll on me. Surviving a near death experience was a wake up call for me.

I took a break recently to get away from all this. I left my mobile phone and laptop at home and ran to Malacca. Stayed in Holiday Inn. Nice place.

Unfortunately, it only helped a bit. One lesson I learn here is I am too dependant on technology. As a business owner, I don’t think we can escape from being part of the business. It’s like being the Borg.

Resistance is futile!

I just hope God can be a little forgiving and give me a break. Sorry God, I think I have to postpone my Umrah until I get well from my surgery.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Take care of yourself.

Unknown said...

Thanks for the comment!

Ades said...

”With every difficulty, comes relief, with every difficulty comes relief” Surah Inshirah:5-6

That's the promise of Allah, so be patient and be happy that the relief is coming your way inshAllah.

Unknown said...

Amin!