Monday, March 10, 2008

My father passed away

As unexpected it might seem, my father passed away on 4th March 2008. The cause of the death is probably due to liver sclerosis.


 

I got a called around 11 AM + that my father was fell down. Thinking he might have slipped and fell, I rushed with my friend to get him. We managed to find him and rush him PPUM. Then things started to take a turn, doctors were perplexed on his condition. His BP was low and he was complaining about abdominal pain. By 5PM+, doctor told me that he will not make it. I rushed home to fetch my mom and sis. I didn't tell them the actual situation. By the time I reached the hospital around 6.19PM, my father has passed away at 6.17PM.

Here is some notes I would like to share especially Muslims about burial procedures:-


  • If death within 24 hours, doctors will insist that they perform an post mortem.
  • If deceased has an insurance policy, the insurance company will insist on a post mortem report.
  • As family, you can fight the post mortem if the Police is satisfied there was no crime involved.
  • Body will be moved to mortuary. You need to get a burial permit from either DBKL or Police Selangor.
  • The PIC will handover to you a JPN letter. Photocopy your burial permit.
  • You will need to inform the nearest mosque to perform the religious rites. They will arrange the van, bath and prayers. You will need to go to the nearest burial office to get a burial spot. MPPJ's is near Jln 222. You handover your "ORIGINAL" burial permit to them. Without it, they will not conduct a burial. Burial cost is RM 120.
  • My father was buried at Kota Damansara. A new burial area.
  • Total burial cost will be below RM 600.
  • On the 3rd day, visit the grave after Subuh, to read Yasin and doas.
  • Go to JPN to get a death certificate. Please bring the photocopy of the burial permit, the JPN form and original NRIC of the deceased. They con me of paying RM 5.
  • Read alot of Yasin and conduct tahlil for 3 nights. The more people, the better. Prepare some food for the guests.
  • Perform a tahlil on the 40th day.
  • Get a Imam or anyone to khatam a Quran within the 40 days.
  • You need to ensure whether the deceased as a Will. It will be easier with it.
  • In order to close a bank account, bring Mom, with marriage certificate, passbook, IC, and death certificate.
  • There is alot of work to be done once a person has passed away. The burden lies on the living. Thus, now I realise that we can go anytime. A Will is important and a list of items to be done in case of death, should be prepared earlier by everyone, so the living can proceed the task with ease.

My father and I, we were not close but he was a good man. He took care of the family and me, no matter what and even the old age, he still worked. He didn't ask money from me, but I am happy that I am managed to give him during his time alive.

My father was a nobody, but even that, he knew the right people. He ensure that I got everything I needed although we were poor. I remember he had to beg the shop owner to reduce the price of the bicycle I wanted so badly, although he didn't have money to pay. He got me into University. He helped me for a government job. He brought me to the library in his motorcycle, while he worked at a stall. He bought me my first car and paid all the installment until I got my first job. He paid for my wedding with his KWSP. All these sacrifice of a father. I am sad that I am unable to repay fully his efforts.

He thought me a few things in life,
  • Be always punctual
  • Carry a pen
  • Drive slowly
  • Work for the government
  • How to change tyres and mechanical stuff

But as a stubborn kid, I didn't always listen.

Regrets that I have:-

  • Unable to go to Umrah together
  • A family photo
  • Provide him everything so that he can rest at home instead of working

As the saying goes, you don't know what you have until you lose it. All those chain email was right. Do it know, say you love them, provide for them. Don't wait until its too late.

I am strong now, I have to be. Now I have to work hard, so I can provide my Mom and sis a better life. Time is running short, life is tough.

Al-Fatifah.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

With Sympathy,
My prayers are with you in this time of sorrow.May you find healing in the memories of your beloved father.

Anonymous said...

Hey....I think this is one of the most poignant AND informative blog entries I have ever come across regarding the passing of a parent in Malaysia. My condolences, and thanks for posting this. We all learnt something today. Take care, man.

Anonymous said...

I like to read all your blogs.....very interesting and very informative...

Regards,
Be in awe of
(Not you.... your writings)!!!!

Unknown said...

Thank you for your wishes, sorry for the last comment as I was busy with the funeral arrangements and prayer and even now preparing for the 40th day.

ex-colleague - which one is this... I have too many now... :)

Anonymous said...

R.I.P

I'm a muslim from Morocco, I found your blog while googling.. may your father rest in peace