Saturday, January 27, 2007

Interviews

My position in the company requires me to interview and hire candidates applying for an advertised position. Throughout the years, I have interviewed no less than 50 people for various position. On the net, there is a lot of information regarding how a candidate should prepare for an interview.

Now, you guys listen to me. Direct from an employer. This is a grunt from me as an employer to all those job seekers.
  1. Only apply for a job if you are INTERESTED!
    Don't waste a person's time. I shift through hundreds of resumes looking to shortlist candidates. So don't waste my time to call you and to find out that you are not interested.

  2. Read the freaking job advert line by line!
    Study if you match the requirement stated. I got a candidate telling me on the phone, that he is only interested if the job is beneficial for him! In which planet are you in!? No one takes employees to only benefit on one side. There should be a balance on both party. If you don't match the job spec, don't apply!

  3. Be polite on the phone. You are talking to your future employer.
    Some candidates just think they are hellavu great. Be polite and courteous. You are not the only person we are calling. After shifting through hundred of people and we think you are important enough to be called for an interview, have the respect and decency to talk politely. This kind of people usually get rejected immediately from me. So remember, the first phone call is important if you are serious about the job.

  4. Make time for an interview!
    I got candidates telling me they are not free for an interview for the whole week. Why did you apply then? Negotiate politely for a best interview time. I don't care if you are busy, I am much busier than you are but yet I made time to call you. Always prepare a suitable time in case you are called for an interview.

    I used to conduct interview during the weekends to make those working candidate's life easier. Almost 60% did not show up for an interview. What!?

  5. Show up for your interview! If you can't make it, call one day in advance.
    Some candidate don't even bother to call. Remember, someone on the other end had sacrifice his weekend is waiting for you to show up.

  6. Bring all the necessary documentation, demo, source code and etc.
    Some candidates comes in for an interview with just a pen. I am not interested in your degree. Show me your project source code, demo and such. This will impress your interviewer more. And dress appropriately matching the company's attire.

  7. Don't waste my time!
    There are candidate who comes in for interview just to 'test water'. I had one guy who had the cheek to tell me that. If you seriously looking for money, go sell VCD or something.

  8. If you don't know the answer to a question, admit it!
    Don't try to wiggle your way out. It makes you look stupid. Don't try to correct your interviewer either. I would not be asking a question if I didn't know the answer earlier.

    I had candidate telling me she can't answer theoretical questions, but can perform exceptionally well if given practical work. No problem, I flip open a test paper which I have kept prepared. Do it now. Didn't do well either. Now, why do you get yourself in such a dumb situation?

  9. Once you get a job offer, show up for work!
    If you have received another job offer, please inform you employer about it, ASAP. Don't make them prepare your offer letter, get a desk and PC for you, install the necessary software, waiting in anticipation for you and only to find out later through 3rd party that you got another job.

    This are really sick people and deserve to burn in hell. Its no joke since you got the HR, Management and Technical department all working for your arrival. Not to mention the projects that you are suppose to handle.

  10. Keep your promises once you have entered your job!
    Most candidate will promises anything during the interview, but the moment they enter the workforce, things change.

    My gold fish needs a bath, I can't work late. I can't do this, can't do that. My pay is not enough, gossips, chatting on IMs, taking long lunch breaks, frequent MCs, surfing jobstreet in the office.

    You knew what you were getting into, so shut up and start working. Ask all relevant questions before signing the contract. Don't like working in the company, then leave, PLS!


In each industry, I believe its a small world. You will end up meeting the same industry people for meetings or projects. Top management tend to meet each other more often. So there is an opportunity to ask about a future candidate application. So don't screw up with any of your employers. The news will get passed around.

Take interviews seriously. "I got no time".

1 comment:

Sasi a.k.a Saz said...

eh ane i thought you`d be educating me over how to succeed in an interview ????

But this is like a lilte of both i would say, some explanation on how it would be like if your on the employers shoes..

thanx for the heads up :)