Monday, October 09, 2017

WhatsApp Desktop and Web Not Working

For the past few days I had problem connecting to the Whatsapp Desktop/Web with my iPhone. After opening the WhatsApp Desktop, it loads the latest messages, however when I try to click on the past messages, it just goes into an infinite loop. And I get this yellow bar on top with the message "Phone Not Connecting" or "Phone Has No Internet Connection" or something.. hello.. it's connected to my WiFi. My phone works just fine.

However I am able to receive WhatsApp messages and reply them on my phone fine.

After cracking my head for few days, I found the solution. If you have a similar issue you can try this method. I tweeted about this, so I am just going to copy and paste it here.


ganee
Step 1 - Backup the WhatsApp chat to your iCloud.
Step 2 - Delete the WhatsApp app on the phone.
Step 3 - Download the app again, do not click Restore.
8 Oct 2017, 11:18 PM
ganee
Step 4 - Open WhatsApp Desktop, for some reason, it connects magnificently.
Step 5 - Delete app on phone again
8 Oct 2017, 11:19 PM
ganee
Step 6 - Install the app and now click on the Restore your back.
Step 7 - Open up WhatsApp Desktop
Step 8 - Voila, its work. Crazy I know…

8 Oct 2017, 11:21 PM


Hopefully it works for you. I had about 8GB of whatsapp content, so I am guessing that could be the issue.

Update
------------
Spoke too soon. Just after an hour, it went back to the crazy loop. Each time it's trying to load the history of conversations, it goes into this crazy loop. 



Its happening again after a successful restore. Maybe, just maybe because of the 8GB restore.

Update Part 2
--------------------
Yes, it's confirmed. It's due to the size of my messages. I went back to step 1 till 5, except I didn't restore this time around. WhatsApp desktop works fine. So looks like if you hit a certain size threshold, it will just stop working. Hmm... now I can't restore all the history and I have no clue what was my previous conversation about.

No comments: